This book was an Audible book. I love audiobooks because you can “read” and do other stuff, like cleaning or walking or playing computer games. Queen of Shadows is the 4th book in the series. I was not as impressed by this book as I was the previous ones. It takes entirely too long to figure out where the story was going. The plot line of the Iron Teeth is still a mystery to me. I’m sure the hours and hours of the storyline over the last two books has got to be of importance eventually, I hope. This book was darker than the others and had way too much pointless killing. Aelin (aka Celeana) killed people for like the entire first half of the book mainly because she was pissed. That’s all. No goal other than revenge. It got old, fast.
Aelin plans to destroy the tower that is preventing magic begin returned to the land. Along the way, she enacts revenge against those who wronged her and those she cared about. She also makes new friends and saves an enemy.
My favorite moments in the book
There is a scene where the ruthless Iron Teeth witch, Menon, protects the crippled girl, Elide, by claiming her as part of her coven.
The moment when Lissandra gives Aelin the letter detailing what was done to Sam before he was killed. This gesture cements the former rivals as friends.
Every scene where Rowan is thinking about Aelin.
- Eventually, it gets to the real story and is quite interesting.
- Things between Rowan and Aelin heat up, which gives a new twist to the character dynamics.
- The characters are complex. Even the “evil” characters have their redeeming features that makes them likeable.
The Not So Great
- The book needed to get to the main point of the story a lot quicker than it did.
- Too much pointless killing. I love a good fight scene, but killing for the sake of killing is boring.
- This is the fourth book and Aelin is already working on her 3rd male.